Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:10:54 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Matthew Dempsky <address@hidden>

    > Mikhael Goikhman <address@hidden> writes:

    > > And GFDL is off topic here, since we are not book publishers. We have no
    > > good reason to use this license, it is obviously less free than GPL.

    > "Ignoring all evidence to the contrary, our hypothesis holds true."

    > I wish I could have gotten away with that when I took Statistics in
    > high school; things would have been so much simpler.

Um.... hmmm.

Asuffield and others have posted trying to call the FSF on some kind
of alleged hypocracy about the meaning of "free".

Well, maybe..... but not likely.

The FSF has never tried to define "free" in some general sense.  They
(and RMS) are pretty narrowly focused.  They have a very nuanced
assesment of the meaning of "free" and the cliched account of the
"Debian position" is that Debian has a very blunt and somewhat idiotic
conception.

>From my perspective, it's a bit like Debian has shown up at the local
philharmonic's performance of Vivaldi and, at the opening strains,
started calling out for "Freebird".

At any rate, even though nobody is bothering to argue (to no effect)
against the Debian position here, at least please keep an open mind
and dig deeper on your own into the subtleties of the debate.

After all, RMS won the Xemacs flamewar without settling the discourse
over it.  He'll win this one, too, imho.  GFDL is pretty damn sane.