Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch review - am I accurate?

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch review - am I accurate?
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:48:48 +0100

Hello David,

I'm a new Arch user. I'm using it on two projects. As I am new to arch,
I can give my version of Arch usability.

"David A. Wheeler" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi - I've been trying to understand various SCM tools
> (primarily CVS, Subversion, and Arch), and
> ended up putting my thoughts down in an article:
>  http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/scm.html

I've quickly read your article. I think you emphasize to much on small
details (like the "tla mv" vs. "tla move" issue). And you should not
mess with arch maintained {arch} directory, so why so much fuss about
bash bug on shell completion?

As a new Arch user (and old CVS user), I only know 2-3 commands
(typically "commit") and need to look at documentation for more
complicated things. Naming the command "del", "rm" or "remove" doesn't
change anything.

The most three important points I would mentioned:

 1. Arch desperately needs a well structured, well cross-referenced,
    user manual with complete help for each command, *as well* as a how
    to section on doing simple and more tricky things (for both tla 1.1
    and 1.2). Both the tutorial and the wiki are useful, but they're not
    structured enough.

    (as a side note, I know that I should contribute such a manual
    following the spirit of free software. But I have no time to do this
    right now);

 2. Arch is very simple to setup for public archive. No need for a
    server software. I just used a mirror of my local archive with sftp
    URL. It is very very convenient;

 3. an official Windows port is necessary. Not being a native port would
    not be a difficult point (windows shell is so limited that you need
    cygwin anyway).

Yours,
david
--