Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Caching (was: GNU Arch review - am I accurate?)

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Caching (was: GNU Arch review - am I accurate?)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:34:24 +0100

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 16:16:39 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > For performance, revision libraries do the trick. Tla does not
> > automaticaly prune them -- it has to be done by an independent script
> > (perhaps from cron).
>
> It could be done by tla as well.
> Admittedly, OSes should have the notion of "disposable files" so you could
> use all the disk space with revlibs and they'd be deleted by the OS when
> more diskspace is needed.  But in the mean time, it'd be nice to have tla
> do the pruning itself.

Yes, you can. However, you usualy need to get it pruned when you DON'T
work with tla...

> > For offline work, it may never be automatic, because you must tell it
> > what you want to have cached for offline work. Archive mirroring will do
> > the trick.
>
> There's no reason why it can't be as automatic as revlib: just cache
> whatever has been fetched from the network.

It's not the same. It would have to be: Before every operation on the
mirror, do an archive-mirror.

> >> Mirrors are not at all automatic.  A far cry from a "cache".
>
> > They can be made automatic for backup purpose by putting push-mirror in
> > a hook.
>
> Huh?  What hook?  What mirror?  Last I tried you can't modify a mirror, so
> there's no hook to use there.  As for the main archive, you generally don't
> have write access to it, so you can't add a hook there.
> But in any case, the problem is mostly the setting up of mirrors which no
> amount of push-mirror will automate for you.  Revlibs are much better here.
> Furthermore, mirrors only cache "the whole thing or nothing".

For *BACKUP* purposes, you commit to master and push-mirror to the
backup. There IS a hook.

> > For offline work they can't really be automatic, because you
> > need to say on what you want to work. And for caching revision libraries
> > are usualy better.
>
> A good way to say "I need this data" is to access it.  So having
> transparent caching makes perfect sense for offline work as well.
> I do that all the time with revlibs: I never explicitly add something to
> the revlib, instead I just do `tla changes' to make sure the base revision
> is in the revlib.

You must also say "and don't dare to prune them".

> >> And also offline work.  That's closer but:
> >> - You have to set it up manually (which is not that bad since it's only
> >> done once, but still: it should be setup automatically with a sensible
> >> default).
> > It's a bit hard -- you have to say where they should be put.
>
> What's hard about choosing a sensible default?

No, I don't like that. I want to know, what it's doing.

However, it might be nice if tla, when run for the first time by a new
user did:

1) Ask for user-id (trying to find real name and e-mail by standart
   means and provide that as a default).
2) Ask for location of revision library and set it up (you could answer
   "Not now" to which it would replay with command you need to type to
   do it later).
3) Ask for location and name for default archive (the same argument with
   "Not now" applies here).

> >> - It does not cache patches.
> > Sure it DOES.
>
> My definition of caching is "transparently keeping copies nearby".
> Patches are never cached in this sense.  You can manually copy them nearby,
> but that's just mirroring, not caching.

Revision library contains **full unpacked changeset** for each revision.
Just look for directories named ,,patch-set in the library.

> >> - It does not cache some other meta data (not sure which, but when I do
> >> `tla build-config ...tla-1.2' tla somehow needs to access the network
> >> and check some patches's sigs even when all the trees's revisions are
> >> in the revlib).
>
> > Does the config only contain _revision_, or does it contain _versions_
> > too?
>
> I wouldn't know.  I just want to rebuild Tom's tla-1.2 and know nothing of
> how he organizes his thing.

Then please don't jump on conclusions with "patches' sigs".

> > In the second case, it needs to look which is the latest revision...
>
> Yes, although I don't see why it should need to check any signature since
> the revision is ends up using is already in the revlib.  I thought
> signatures where only added to patches, not to "the current list of patches
> of this version".  But I admit ignorance here.

What's your evidence that it downloads the _sigs_?
(I don't claim it does not -- just that you didn't explain why you think
it does)

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>