Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.2 on cygwin

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 14:18:00 GMT

> It doesn't matter.  Anybody who's still running Windows Me needs not to
> ask for aproval before installing GNU/Linux. 8-)
>
> Nobody in a sane mind is using Me on corporate desktops these days,
> especially not on developers' machines.

Stats suggest that Windows 98 still has a massive deployment.
Microsoft released a patch for the officially-dead Windows 98,
and there were claims that 25% of all Windows systems were Windows 98
(I don't know if that's true, and probably many of those aren't
connected to the net, but still...!).
In Feb 2004 3.32% of requests to my website were from Windows 98;
Linux/Unix combined were too small to count (not counting robots).
Large corporations generally have large licensing
programs that tend to eliminate old OS's,
but a whole lot of small businesses still run on Windows 98.

There are a lot of places where money is tight, and the current
operating system is sufficient for their needs (write letters,
read email).  Not _everyone_ using MS has decided to
ride the upgrade treadmill; many upgrade only when there's
an advantage worth the money.

Granted, most developers will want to use something else.
But if it's not too hard, it'd be great to have tla
massively portable.

--- David A. Wheeler