RE: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Parker, Ron
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:18:03 -0600

> From: Aaron Bentley [mailto:address@hidden
> Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 12:34 AM

> The tradeoffs are
> Leroy: requires Cygwin.
> Berg: requires NTFS
> SFU: requires SFU & NTFS
> (All require Windows NT or descendant)

I don't believe that final statement is strictly true.  Cygwin does not
require an NT based system.  Given Lode's path compression, once completed,
everything should work in Win9x/ME.  IIRC one of his motivations in doing
the path compression was to enable it to work on a FAT(32) file system.  The
one caveat may be that file permission metadata might be fully handled.  I
know Cygwin on NT/2000/XP can use extended attributes on FAT to support
permissions, but this still does not address the 9x/ME systems.  In this
case my preference would be to disallow permissions changes based upon the
apparent permissions on these platforms.