Re: gnokii and Nokie N95 8GB

From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik
Subject: Re: gnokii and Nokie N95 8GB
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 14:16:16 +0200

On 11:23:00 2008-05-03 Arnold Troeger <address@hidden> wrote:
> Pawel Kot wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> anything much.  Can anyone tell me if they have gnokii working with
> >> the n95, or baring that, what the plans are for getting gnokii
> >> working with it?
> >>  Gnokii on S60 is supported by an application on the mobile end
> >>  (Gnapplet).
> >> It seems that the native protocol on a S60 device is not very usable
> >> for anything else except transferring your own handler to the mobile.
> >
> > To be more specific. gnokii main area of interest are FBUS protocol
> > and AT protocol. Symbian phones have completly no FBUS support (which
> > is included only in Nokia phones Series40 and earlier). For unknown
> > reason Symbian phones have also very limited AT command subset
> > implemented. Therefore using AT commands you can send SMS, but you
> > can't read SMS, you can's read/write phonebook or calendar, etc. On
> > the other hand Symbian supports SyncML and Obex which are not
> > supported by gnokii.
> >
> > We have (namely Bozo did) created gnapplet to be able to get from the
> > phone what we want. gnapplet consists of Symbian application (you need
> > to install it on the phone and run it every time you want connection)
> > and gnokii driver which talk using our internal protocol.
> >
> > However this is not the case for Symbian60 3rd Edition which N95
> > happens to be. Symbian API completly changed for the 3rd edition and
> > nobody ported gnapplet (yet). There have been several attempts but all
> > of them failed (as of now).
> >
> > What you can get from N95:
> >  - very limited functionality with gnokii using AT driver
> >  - access to filesystem using OpenObex tools
> >  - phonebook, calendar, todo, etc synchronization using Opensync (or
> > any other SyncML compatible software)
> >
> > Unfortunately there's no single application to manage such phone.
> >
> >>  Nobody else then me has indicated any interest in developing such
> >> application based on the S60 2nd ed version.
> >
> > You mean 3rd Edition.
> >
> >>  The problem is that current Gnapplet version (for S60 2nd ed.) has
> >>  been
> >> developed with Linux tools and I have zero experience with them. All
> >> professional Symbian development is based on Windows-tools (which
> >> are freely available on the net). So, unfortunately there are no
> >> results yet.
> >
> > That's right. Daniele recently started to work on this but he faced
> > the problem of the self-signing site being down -- 3rd Ed. requires
> > applications to be digitally signed in order to run.
> >
> > take care,
> > pkot
> Thank you for your reply.  So, someone is working on gnapplet for the
> n95?  Is the self-signing site being down the only problem with the
> porting effort?
> Thank you and best regards,
> Arnold

Signing is easily avoided(or reduced to a meaningless thing)... Infact I'd
recommend debranding and jailbreaking (thus breaking any and all Digital
Restrictions Managment facilities for applications) on any n95 device...

This can be dangerous. I take no responsibilities for anything.
Just because it worked for me it doesn't mean it will for anyone

That said I found the entire process of debranding and jailbreaking
easy to do. The important bits:

In case you wan tto debrand it and jailbreak it first debrand it.

Here's some tutorials:

Andraž "ruskie" Levstik

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6  F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C