Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Thoughts/questions on Builder and Dunsink

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Thoughts/questions on Builder and Dunsink
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:15:19 +0000

On Fri, 2016-12-09 at 18:16 +0100, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Op Tue, 06 Dec 2016 13:49:32 +0000
> schreef Bob Ham <address@hidden>:

> > 3. Sam, previously you stated that you would like to target Ucclia
> > (based on Wheezy) with new Builder scripts before moving on to
> > Dunsink. However, there are changes in the builder_lordeddi branch in
> > bazaar which refer to Debian Jessie[2] which would obviously not be
> > targetting Ucclia.  Has there been a change in the intention to
> > target Ucclia first?
>
> Eddi convinced me (well, still need to do some more testing) that
> merging current Ucclia's repo with Dunsink's repo is doable, so then
> there's no need to reimplement Ucclia in Builder.

That's not cool.  I have tens of GBs of Wheezy mirror on my hard disk
and a bunch of modifications to Builder to get it to build a
Wheezy-based distro.  What a waste of time and bandwidth.  And in a
project like gNewSense, where there is extremely limited manpower,
wasting time is disastrous.

I haven't seen any mention of a change in plans on the mailing list so I
can only conclude that this convincing you mention took place in
private.  So I'm wasting my time because you're having conversations
about gNewSense development in private rather than on the development
mailing list.  This is not the way to encourage developers to
contribute.

Are there any other development decisions you've made in private that I
should be aware of before I waste more time on pointless patches?