Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Thoughts/questions on Builder and Dunsink

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Thoughts/questions on Builder and Dunsink
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 22:33:45 +0000

On Mon, 2016-12-12 at 22:38 +0100, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Op Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:15:19 +0000
> schreef Bob Ham <address@hidden>:
>
> > Are there any other development decisions you've made in private that
> > I should be aware of before I waste more time on pointless patches?
>
> You're right that I said something about this on the mailing list.

I'm confused.  This doesn't make sense to me.  From what I can tell you
*didn't* say something about this.

> In my previous mail I meant that there's a good chance of success that
> they can be merged, not that it's definitive.

It would be useful if you could be much louder about your decision
making; both the process and the outcome.

> As stated on the project
> page [1], we first need to have a solution for merging distros

What exactly is it that you mean by "merging" distros here?

> I didn't know you were actively hacking on this. I didn't see a
> buider_<username> bazaar repo on Savannah.

I didn't have anything working to commit.  I still don't.

> I suspect you modified
> Builder to make it more generic or better fit our current situation
> (Debian instead of Ubuntu).

Your suspicion is not correct.  My aim was to create something that
successfully created a Wheezy-based distro, which could be used as a
base for further work.

> We need to have those changes anyway, so
> perhaps I can already merge a large part of your patches.

I doubt it; there is only one ugly patch.  Regardless, this does not
change the fact that I've spent time working towards a goal which you
changed in private.

I'd like to be very clear and explicit about this issue.  From my
perspective, making decisions about gNewSense development in private
discussion with Eddi is a problem.  If one's behaviour reflects a belief
that there are no developers working on a project, for example being
quiet about major project decisions, then one will inevitably find this
to be a self-fulfilling prophesy and that, indeed, no developers work on
a project.

On the other hand, if one is loud and communicates in a manner that
assumes there are developers prepared to work on a project and in a
manner that facilitates an easy transition into being involved, then one
will attract developers.

Making decisions in private with Eddi is a problem in general.  There
is, here, a specific example of why it is a problem because a developer
on the mailing list, me, has spent time working towards a goal whose
status has been changed in private while the developer continued
working.

Making decisions in private with Eddi is a specific problem in this case
but also a problem in general.  Do you agree, Sam?

> I'm sure Eddi
> will also be interested to compare with his changes. Can you please
> share your changes?

I've created a branch here:

  http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/builder_rah_wheezy/files

However, it is not working.