Re: [Gnash-dev] Large-scale Makefile.am cleanup

From: Andrew Guertin
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Large-scale Makefile.am cleanup
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 04:32:27 -0400

On 04/18/2011 12:40 AM, Rob Savoye wrote:
On 04/15/11 04:10, Andrew Guertin wrote:

Over the past few days I've been doing some work on cleaning up gnash's
Makefile.ams. The end goal that I'd like to reach is to transition to
non-recursive automake.

  The current Gnash style is a mix of recursive and non-recursive
Makefiles. The discussion of which is "better" has been going on for
decades. :-) I like the current Gnash hybrid style, as I often use "make
-C" to only build a directory or two. Course I have a bias, as I wrote
much of the current build system. I'm not sure if the minor speed
improvement in this case would be worth the trade-off in maintainability.

Why do you often build only a directory or two?

(This is precisely why I asked before doing too much work; I don't want to break anyone's workflow!)

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>