gmediaserver-devel

Re: [gmediaserver-devel] FreeBSD Compilation woes

From: James E. Flemer
Subject: Re: [gmediaserver-devel] FreeBSD Compilation woes
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 23:01:07 -0700

The upnp in FreeBSD ports was stale (old version) when I made the port for GMS. I created a new port libupnp based on upnp for the latest version of libupnp (I renamed it "libupnp" to match the distribution name, and to avoid conflicts with the old incompatible version in the ports tree). I submitted my changes for the new version of libupnp to the maintainer... The devel/upnp port is *definitely* not the same as my libupnp port (compare the patch files in the two).

I might get around to updating the FreeBSD port to version 0.9 this weekend, but don't get your hopes up. (Oskar any plans to put GMS under CVS on savannah?)

You do not need to do any of that manual multicast route crap on FreeBSD if you are using my ports/packages for libupnp and GMS (I patched libupnp code to correctly do an m-cast join on the address passed into UpnpInit()). If your FreeBSD box is not multihomed (just one network interface) I don't think you would need to set up m-cast routes or apply my fixes to libupnp (multicast packets will be sent using the default route if no more specific route is found, and the m-cast join did not specify an interface address).

-James

falz wrote:
FreeBSD 6.0, trying to get gmediaserver .9 installed. James, thanks
for the ports on your page (http://www.uvm.edu/~jflemer/omnifi/).
Curious if you were intending to update them to .9 at any point?

I can't get .8 to install in any way except for from James's binary
port(s). Curious if anyone knows- what's the difference between
libupnp and upnp (upnp is natively in ports). The ports dependancies
depend on libupnp, but it seems that just 'upnp' is the same.

My ultimate goal is to get the Xbox 360 working with this, as the only
tools that work right now are Windows based.

Also, can anyone also elaborate on the multicast route that must be
added? I beleive my route is correct:

  route add -net 239.0.0.0/8 -interface fxp0

fxp0 being my LAN interface, naturally.

thanks,
--falz