Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:54:11 +0100

Hi,

tempted to include all of MJ's reply here, to get round Jon's
killfiling, but that would be malicious, wouldn't it? :-)

On 2/4/08, MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:

> No, if someone's offensive, I won't usually take them on as a client.
> Unsurprisingly, cooperative business people seem to be less ranty than
> a few posters to this mailing list.  If something goes wrong (in their
> opinion), it's more "how can we fix this in a way that works for
> everyone" and less "my view must prevail or the sky will fall on our
> heads".

Heh... not sure anyone was suggesting the sky falling on our heads.
Just campaigning in favour of choice (if someone emails as HTML, they
shouldn't have their emails munged into plain text to satisfy the
Luddites).

> By the way, I think the only non-gmail-users who regularly send html
> email to my work are a marketing company who have a letterhead
> graphic.  I'll leave the interpretation of that to others.

My interpretation is that you only appeal to a certain demographic :-)

Looking back at the companies I've interacted with over the last month
or so, they are all HTML mailers. However they are all medium/large
enterprises, so I suspect that's where the centralised IT / MS Outlook
factor kicks in.

> Anyway, the summary/count has been sent to the other list admins and
> should be posted here tomorrow.

Must have missed it ....

Meanwhile, in a previous reply, you said:

> comments on this are now closed.

Can I be the first to point out that you can't "close" comments on a
mailing list (unless of course you go moderated). However you can
close comments on web-based forums and message boards, which is where
most of the "normal" people have fled to, to escape the evils of
plain-text-only user-unfriendly mailing lists .... :-P

a.