Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:09:26 +0000

"Jon Grant" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Obvious points don't need evidence generally.. Necessitating it is
> political slipperiness and discussion grandstanding that we don't need
> on the list!

Far from being political or grandstanding, it probably arises from
learning in a department that had a big sign on the corridor end: "In
God we trust - all others bring data".  There are many case studies of
trials which affirm an "obvious" result (such as members of the public
being able to tell leather from synthetic with near-perfect certainty)
which are then found to have serious flaws (a shoe trade fair in a
nearby building in that case).

In short, one may think that the points about html mail are "obvious"
but at least one of the "obvious" points posted recently about
facebook was misleading.  How many more are?  I don't know.

[...]
> Do you seriously believe I would bother to try to send you three
> copies of an email?

Yes, I think it's possible from someone who appears to react in such a
bad way to different opinions.  My younger self did that - and worse.

> Do you  suggest your clients are being "offensive"
> too? You've got some issues I can't even speculate about.

No, if someone's offensive, I won't usually take them on as a client.
Unsurprisingly, cooperative business people seem to be less ranty than
a few posters to this mailing list.  If something goes wrong (in their
opinion), it's more "how can we fix this in a way that works for
everyone" and less "my view must prevail or the sky will fall on our
heads".

By the way, I think the only non-gmail-users who regularly send html
email to my work are a marketing company who have a letterhead
graphic.  I'll leave the interpretation of that to others.

[...]
> My killfile comment was about your email address. Your latest comments
> about my "silly email actions" were the nail in the coffin for you I'm
> afraid.

Posting a "plonk" message in public really is grandstanding.
Killfiling should be kept private, else a real troll will just start
evading the rule.

Anyway, the summary/count has been sent to the other list admins and
should be posted here tomorrow.

Hope that helps,