Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS grants for free software development

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS grants for free software development
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:05:54 +0100

On 2004-09-19 03:32:47 +0100 Simon Waters <address@hidden> wrote:

Robin Green wrote:
> All I'm saying is, let's not shut out discussion of the
> committee's decisions on the basis that it is "whinging".

I'm quite happy for people to discuss the committee decisions, but sometimes we're making do with what we've got. Personally, I think if we'd waited for a full-blown announcement and publicity campaign about this before announcing it anywhere, it would probably have been November. I'm really impressed that Kevin has done the work to publish it before the expo, as this could be a talking point there and a visible good that AFFS does. Having it "out there" already encourages us to keep moving it forwards and also lets others move it forwards too.

For example, the AFFS web site sources are published in a couple of ways. If you want this on the web site sooner than we can do it, download them and send in the changes. One method is to use the "download source" tarball at the foot of every page and then tell me where the patch file is, another is the GNU Arch system described at http://www.mjr.dsl.pipex.com/uzu-arkon.html (which I find a lot nicer to merge). I'll do my best to help, as it will probably improve my instructions and make it easier for more people to help with the site.

We also need to open up committee's workings, in my opinion. Kevin and Richard have done some work towards that by publishing July's minutes (under "About" on the site, which is the page describing committee's function) and Alex has created the affs-project list where non-private task planning can happen. It's not something which can be done quickly, though, and there will always be some stuff that isn't public, sadly. (I will explain more about that off-list to anyone who emails me directly.)

I'm also happy to take submissions to committee meetings and I expect all of us are. If you want to take pot luck, the address@hidden address is currently assigning stuff to people at random, as far as I can tell.

Let's focus on the bigger questions. How will the public
announcement be made?

The broad idea is to announce fully at the expo, but that depends how much help there is compared to the other demands of the expo stand. Throw in any refinement and specifics about that idea, please. I'll not say much just yet, as I don't want to bias it.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
http://www.thewalks.co.uk stand 13,Lynn Carnival,12 Sep