Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS grants for free software development

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS grants for free software development
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:24:19 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Kevin Donnelly wrote:

> > Yes that's my memory too however imposing an arbitrary limit that only
> > members of AFFS will be able to apply for the grant, even if just for the
> > first month, is a very bad idea in my view.
>
> No, that's not the intention.  However, AFFS is taking on the admin role for
> this, and surely that implies that members should have some minor advantages.

I don't think it does. As you seem to think it does please justify the
position so I can understand why being a member of AFFS makes a Free
Software developer better than one who isn't or better able to put the
money to good use.

> This is the first run at this, and I don't think anyone is going to be
> disadvantaged if they have a good project.  Remember that there is no
> deadline for applying - it's just that some people will have a week or two
> more to think about applying :-)

I met people at YAPC who had never heard of AFFS but had ideas for what
could be great projects. The Perl foundation also have people at their
disposal to work on worthwhile projects in the UK where needs can be
identified and funding found. They offer funding of their own to match
other grants as well.

I was unable to point anyone there at the AFFS website for them to find
details.

Similarly I am unable to link from the UKFSN website to an appropriate
page at AFFS.

Let me be clear that I am very happy that the committee has decided to
start a programme for this - and very thankful. I just don't think that
announcing it to a small closed community is a good thing.

It would also help to have a clear idea of the anticipated timetable.
You've asked for submissions from people with good ideas but given no
indication of a date by which the applications should be received - just
that you'll take up to three months to make a decision once they are in.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/      ADSL Broadband from just £22.50 / month