Re: [Fsfe-uk] OSS Pol. v2 and other stuff

From: graham
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] OSS Pol. v2 and other stuff
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:14:04 +0100

Lee Braiden wrote:

(a lot of very sensible stuff which is slightly off-topic for this reply)

Now, I understand that it wouldn't be smart to tell our government that they have a whole barrage of new IT ethics to worry about, when they're probably still new to IT

Didn't I just see that the new head of IT is the former boss of Accenture? Talk about putting the fox in charge of the chicken-coop. I imagine all the talk about paying attention to open source in procurement policies is now so much hot air (at national level, at least), and any attention to ethical policies will only come if they are really forced on them. Which means shouting about them, not playing them
down.

and just finished getting around to basic things like wheelchair access. But... perhaps it would be at least worthwhile to hint at such concerns, if only to avoid limiting the argument to financial considerations?
Limiting the argument to financial considerations is Microsoft's prime goal in all their propaganda (conferences for international leaders etc). This is a case where esr's argument that talking about freedom is useless for practical purposes is absolutely wrong: the only way to build a real case for government use of free software is by arguing for freedom and ethics. The financial side is
the icing on the cake, and no more than that.

Graham