Re: [Fsfe-uk] OSS Pol. v2 and other stuff

From: graham
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] OSS Pol. v2 and other stuff
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:56:52 +0100

Alex Hudson wrote:

A little while ago I wrote a response to the OSS policy v2 draft that we
mentioned on list a little while ago; it was mentioned in the newsletter
but probably not here. It's this:

        http://www.affs.org.uk/~alex/OSSPolicyV2Response

Any feedback people have would be most appreciated.

At the risk of starting an endless license discussion, I think that the phrase:

<quote>"copyleft": where rights are reserved for the end user, not the author.</quote>

might be liable to malicious misinterpretation (the author does reserve rights under general copyright law, including the right to make available under different licenses - the phrase might be used to suggest
that using copyleft is equivalent to the author giving up all rights).

Perhaps in the context it might be more useful to explain briefly that ""redistribution <http://www.affs.org.uk/%7Ealex/redistribute> under a more restrictive license"
may be allowed by some licenses, eg. BSD.

Rest seems pretty good so far :-)

Graham