Re: [Fsfe-uk] OSS Pol. v2 and other stuff

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] OSS Pol. v2 and other stuff
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:51:05 +0100

On Friday 10 Sep 2004 11:14, graham wrote:
> Lee Braiden wrote:
> I imagine all the talk about paying attention to open source in
> procurement policies is now so much hot air (at national level, at
> least)

Yes, that's a worry of mine, too.

I know of one case in Northern Ireland, where a high-profile tender was under
consideration, and, despite the very high relative performance of the company
in question, they were told that they had "said all the right things", but
they failed to mention "one word: Microsoft" :(  And I suspect this is
because their tender mentioned that they were keeping up to date with the
government's own OSS efforts!  This, in a contract that had already been
specified in full, with no mention of Microsoft, and no reason to require it
except perhaps laziness or fear of the unknown, on the part of government IT
staff.

Unfortunately, I know this by word of mouth from the people involved in a
closed meeting, so I can't really do anything about it without jeopardising
their position.  Perhaps more transparancy would help there, but I suspect
this sort of conversation will go on for quite some time behind closed doors,
unless it's possible to change the attitudes and priorities that drive
government IT decisions.

--
Lee Braiden