RE: [Fsfe-uk] Explaining GPL to a Windows user

From: Andrew Atkinson
Subject: RE: [Fsfe-uk] Explaining GPL to a Windows user
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 22:55:42 +0100

Ian wrote

> I should think your £325 with Windows 95 is pretty similar to my bare
> machine at £300. You can't buy a PC from PC World or the high street
> with anything other than XP. XP Pro if you want networking costs about
> 80 odd quid from the distributors to OEM. The MS official line is that
> you can't legally buy Win '95 but there are copies floating about. The
> thing is you can't compare prices for PCs bought for a school operating
> schools agreement

Yes I agree it is similar, that was the point, a network ready PC for about
the same cost, this is the part you have to beat to move into schools, as
they don't goto PCW (not is they have any sense). Thin client looks like the
way in from what you have said, but at the moment the machines I am buying
tend to be unreliable after 4 years and I can only get a bit off by reducing
the spec on the machines I buy.
I don't think that you will convince schools on the initial cost argument,
you will have to convince the powers that it is a better product and will
save money long term.

Andrew