Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free internet (technologically)

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free internet (technologically)
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:35:51 +0100

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:25:36AM +0100, Chris Croughton wrote:
> > <http://www.argos.co.uk/static/gecko.html>
>
> Which actual page were you trying to read?

All of Argos' pages will send you there, unless you fake your agent
string.

> > But I might have used Opera
>
> Opera has problems with many sites, because it expects the authors to
> have read the standards and keep to them.

Doesn't matter, it's not Free Software & therefore OT ;o)

> > Ignoring ARGOS, is this menace to free software on the decline or resurgent?
> > (Did I hear somewhere about a campaign to educate/pressure for the use
> > of standard web applications?)
>
> There is still an increase in the number of sites wanting Flash or other
> proprietary add-ons, and definitely an increase in the number of those
> which don't even have the courtesy to say that's what you need

Indeed. I've even seen sites which require some sort of executable to be
downloaded, which is just not going to happen even for many users of
other proprietary systems.

Mozilla do have an Evangelism project, IIRC, but I seem to recall Argos
have been made aware of this problem numerous times and still nothing
is done. Basically, I guess there just aren't enough people complaining.

> More likely on the usability and disability discrimination legislation.
> Especially if it is graphics-heavy without text alternatives...

Sounds the best bet for any real kind of action.

Cheers,

Alex.