Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free internet (technologically)

From: PFJ
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free internet (technologically)
Date: 04 Jun 2003 11:28:16 +0100

Hi,

> But I might have used Opera

You will have. Faking as IE.

> Ignoring ARGOS, is this menace to free software on the decline or resurgent?
> (Did I hear somewhere about a campaign to educate/pressure for the use
> of standard web applications?)

The menace will always be there while people listen to the likes of MS
and others equally ill-informed (like my employers - the fools are
moving from Pegasus/POP over to Lookout/Unchanged with blow all thought
[it seems], this is down to a couple of PHBs who like being able to
share a diary, which they can't use as they don't know how to use the
software!!!!). Then you get those who aim websites at IE and don't give
a hang about inter-browser compatibility. I'm having a hell of a job
getting a site working with everything. Just about all of it works,
except that a CSS frame fails
(http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/MMP/staff/music/dk.htm) under IE.
Great under Moz/Net/Konq though.

> Is this not something to follow up after all the recent publicity on
> 'out of courts settlements' over browser wars?

The Out of Court "settlement" was not as good as it seemed as it tied
AOL into using M$ IE instead of a decent browser for goodness knows how
many years to come. AOL 8.2 was supposed to be the first with Netscape
as the default browser.

TTFN

Paul

--
Open your mind to a time where a company does not have control
Open your mind to a choice of applications which you can control