Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free internet (technologically)

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free internet (technologically)
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:52:54 +0100

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:35:51AM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:25:36AM +0100, Chris Croughton wrote:
> > > <http://www.argos.co.uk/static/gecko.html>
> >
> > Which actual page were you trying to read?
>
> All of Argos' pages will send you there, unless you fake your agent
> string.

Ah, JavaScript.  It's not enabled with lynx/links so I could get into
the first few pages OK (then it goes blank -- but the site does say that
it needs JavaScript/JScript).

> > > But I might have used Opera
> >
> > Opera has problems with many sites, because it expects the authors to
> > have read the standards and keep to them.
>
> Doesn't matter, it's not Free Software & therefore OT ;o)

It's a good testbench, though.

> > There is still an increase in the number of sites wanting Flash or other
> > proprietary add-ons, and definitely an increase in the number of those
> > which don't even have the courtesy to say that's what you need
>
> Indeed. I've even seen sites which require some sort of executable to be
> downloaded, which is just not going to happen even for many users of
> other proprietary systems.

Hmm, "some sort of executable" includes Java as far as I'm concerned --
and therefore I don't allow it on any platform I own.

> Mozilla do have an Evangelism project, IIRC, but I seem to recall Argos
> have been made aware of this problem numerous times and still nothing
> is done. Basically, I guess there just aren't enough people complaining.

Or, like Ford, they just don't care since "95% of people use a browser
which sees it fine".

> > More likely on the usability and disability discrimination legislation.
> > Especially if it is graphics-heavy without text alternatives...
>
> Sounds the best bet for any real kind of action.

If you have a browser which can see the site, try turning off all
graphics.  If it doesn't make sense then you can bet a blind person will
have problems with it...

Chris C