Re: [ft] System freeze when antialiasing is turned on

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] System freeze when antialiasing is turned on
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 10:22:12 +0200 (CEST)

> In the following hours, X froze multiple times, something it had
> never done before.  At first, I wasn't sure what to blame; it didn't
> occur to me that something as innocent as the antialiasing could
> cause it, until I found a way to reproduce the hang with 100%
> accuracy.

Debugging X is something I've never done, so I can't give any advice.
You might try the current CVS of FreeType which soon will be 2.1.10 --
note, however, that X comes with a FreeType version of its own, and I
don't know how that can be replaced easily.

Some font handling errors have been fixed in FreeType, but none of
them should cause the result you are experiencing (this is, making X
hang completely).

> I found it easiest to use Firefox for this, since you can resize by
> keeping Ctrl pressed while scrolling the mouse wheel rapidly back
> and forth.  It never takes me more than 5 seconds to make X freeze.
> Once it happens, the mouse cursor can move around, but it can't
> interact with anything.  My machine is still alive though; I can log
> in remotely and kill X to restore control, but it's impossible to do
> anything about it from my local keyboard/mouse, since that's under
> X's control.

Please contact the X people how to get a backtrace.  Without that I
can't analyze further.

> When I set "antialias" to false, I can never crash the system, so
> it's perfectly clear that this option causes it.

This rather looks like a bug in the Xft library than in FreeType...