[Freetype] Unicode charmap for symbol fonts

From: Garrick Meeker
Subject: [Freetype] Unicode charmap for symbol fonts
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 01:28:28 -0800

I've found that some symbol fonts (particularly Symbol on Mac OS X) don't seem
to produce a valid unicode charmap.  Selecting FT_ENCODING_MAC_ROMAN works
fine.  (This is not the problem with FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOL).  I've seen this
on Mac in the sfnt driver for Symbol and for old type1 fonts (from the early
90's) that have FT_ENCODING_ADOBE_CUSTOM.

Is this a known problem?  I've had trouble debugging the charmap code but I've
seen comments indicating that some fonts have bad unicode charmaps.  Any help
is appreciated.