Re: [Freetype] Unicode charmap for symbol fonts

From: Steve Hartwell
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Unicode charmap for symbol fonts
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:50:22 -0800

On Jan 31, 2004, at 1:28 AM, Garrick Meeker wrote:
I've found that some symbol fonts (particularly Symbol on Mac OS X) don't seem to produce a valid unicode charmap. Selecting FT_ENCODING_MAC_ROMAN works fine. (This is not the problem with FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOL). I've seen this on Mac in the sfnt driver for Symbol and for old type1 fonts (from the early
90's) that have FT_ENCODING_ADOBE_CUSTOM.

Is this a known problem? I've had trouble debugging the charmap code but I've seen comments indicating that some fonts have bad unicode charmaps. Any help
is appreciated.

My Font Inspector application, which uses a recent build of freetype2, shows an apparently valid unicode mapping for the /System/Library/Fonts/Symbol.dfont on both MacOS X 10.2 and 10.3 systems. If you'd like to take a look for yourself, you can download Font Inspector at:
        http://stevehartwell.home.comcast.net/proj/fontinspector

Come to think of it, though, the Symbol font's unicode cmap is probably a format 12, and I've modified the tt_cmap12_char_index() routine for speed. Hmmm...

Which calls are you making? I always call FT_Get_Char_Index(); I don't use FT_Get_First_Char() / FT_Get_Next_Char().

Anyway, please post some more specifics. I've stepped through the charmap code myself once or twice now :-)

Regards,

Steve