Re: [ft-devel] An analysis of Librsvg

From: Adam Twardoch (Lists)
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] An analysis of Librsvg
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 10:30:29 +0200

SVG Native Viewer of course offers another kind of link:

The
http://www.w3.org/TR/svg-native spec is authored by Adobe’s Sairus Patel and Apple’s Myles Maxfield. Before SVG was put into the OpenType spec, the SVG Glyphs spec was co-developed by Sairus
https://www.w3.org/2013/10/SVG_in_OpenType/ and Sairus was the first person who jumped at my idea of putting SVG into OpenType, and steered the working group all the way through.

Given that Adobe has contributed the PS rendering code into FreeType, and are co-developing the SVG Native Viewer, I think it's likely that they'll be more than happy to work with FreeType devs and, is needed, answer questions and "make things happen" on their end. And Sairus is a great, very open-minded fellow, who, well, co-authored both OT-SVG and SVG Native, and also has once written portions of the Adobe FDK for OpenType. He is both a font guy and an SVG guy :)

A.

On Tue, 21 May 2019 at 07:13, Vincent Torri <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 6:35 AM Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I've mentioned this discussion to the resvg dev, and he seems pretty
> > interested:
> >
> > https://github.com/RazrFalcon/resvg/issues/135
>
> Thanks.
>
> > I can imagine that in case of resvg, the dev could be willing to
> > implement some profiles (such as OT-SVG and SVG Native) which, when
> > used, could filter unwanted content completely.
>
> Sounds good.  Moazin plans to publish similar overviews for other SVG
> engines, too.  Right now it seems that some engines miss an important
> feature necessary for SVG OT, namely the possibility to select an
> object by its ID...

what annoys me with resvg is that another compiler is needed. I guess
that for unix, there is no problem with package managers, as resvg is
is already compiled. For (native) Windows, i will be a bit more
complicated

Vincent Torri