Re: [ft-devel] [ft] Three GSoC projects for FreeType

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [ft] Three GSoC projects for FreeType
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 09:57:35 -0700

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 9:46 AM Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> What happened to the resvg (Rust library) idea?

It's not completely off the table, but it seems to me that `svgnative'
is preferable.

Given that we want a pluggable renderer, the whole discussion is moot.  For pangocairo, we're going to want to plug librsvg.  So maybe that can be worked out.

> Also, note that the small SVG Native comes at a cost that it doesn't
> support much...

This remark I don't understand.  What exactly do you mean with
`doesn't support much'?  Please explain.  As far as I can see,
`svgnative' will *exactly* cover the SVG stuff allowed in OpenType.
Do we need more?

Not really.  First, SVG Native is still being designed.  Nothing is set in stone.  As it is, it doesn't have many features.  Patterns are out.  Filters are out.  Anything other than simple gradients is out basically...  See my comment and Dirk's response at the bottom of this article:

  https://medium.com/adobetech/svg-native-open-sourcing-svg-native-viewer-988125328a07

Now, some would claim that that's exactly what is allowed in OpenType.  Again, that's what we will be discussing to make happen.  As it happens, there is no relationship between OpenType and SVG Native.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/