Re: [ft-devel] [ft] Three GSoC projects for FreeType

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [ft] Three GSoC projects for FreeType
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 10:32:53 -0700

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 10:19 PM Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> It's not completely off the table, but it seems to me that
>> `svgnative' is preferable.
>
> Given that we want a pluggable renderer, the whole discussion is
> moot.

It's not moot at all IMHO.  I want to have a default that has as few
dependencies as possible and is flexible.  And `svgnative' seems like
an ideal candidate for that.  If people are going to use something
else, they have to override the default.

Of course, the forthcoming callback API should be generic enough to
allow a broad range of libraries – please follow Moazin's attempts in
the next few months and chime in in case you think something is
missing or done in a non-optimal way.

To me, the plugging part is 20 lines of code.  The bulk of the project is independent of the renderer.

> For pangocairo, we're going to want to plug librsvg.

You want that because you are going to use the `librsvg' (within
pangocairo) for other purposes also?

Yes, librsvg is already is used to render SVG icons, etc through gdkpixbuf.