Re: [ft-devel] State of TrueType interpreter v38 and up?

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] State of TrueType interpreter v38 and up?
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 13:29:36 +0100

It must

   (a) ignore changes of the horizontal advance widths due to
       hinting instructions (not implemented yet), and

   (b) ensure that all instructions behave correctly even if the
       horizontal resolution is increased (this is ClearType
       compatibility mode, already implemented).

Ah, okay :) is (a) so complicated or is it that simply nobody did the work yet? And regarding your other post dealing with DWRITE equivalents, I think FT then with the above only ever does DWRITE_RENDERING_MODE_NATURAL_SYMMETRIC, which is probably what we want for light mode.

No. This is what *effectively* happens, due to the strongly
increased horizontal resolution. However, at least in `native' mode,
you can still enforce non-integer positions along the x axis.

Such a mode doesn't exist in the MS engine. However, Adobe's
modified TT engine essentially hints only along the y axis, if I've
understood Dave Arnold correctly, replacing x axis hints with
emboldening.

How complicated. So I guess ClearType
- without stem darkening: let font modify x-coordinates at will but ignore modifications to advance width - with stem-darkening: nop everything that deals with x-coordinates and embolden just the x-axis? Dave? The latter would make backwards compatibility irrelevant because we would only honor Y-hints anyway, right?

... the MS approach is superior IMHO.  It

   (a) elegantly circumvents many problems due to the extreme
       difference between horizontal and vertical resolution – it
       basically makes the compatibillity mode redundant, and

   (b) the increased resolution is around 10 times in both horizontal
       and vertical direction, compared to a threefold horizontal
       resolution increase of FreeType.

Hm. Something for a hypothetical FreeType 3 :) ClearType patents should have run out by then ;)