Re: [ft-devel] State of TrueType interpreter v38 and up?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] State of TrueType interpreter v38 and up?
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 17:00:11 +0100 (CET)

> I'm interested in adding native ClearType to the definition

`Native' ClearType is implemented.

> If I remember correctly, that is what Infinality set out to do and
> Behdad mentioned that it's slow.

Yes, it's slow.  Improvements welcome.

> How far did the integration go?  What work remains?

There are a whole bunch of improvements for the auto-hinter not yet
integrated, but this doesn't affect the TT engine.

> I reckon my stem darkening work will have to wait until the TrueType
> driver can do native Y-only-hinting..

There is a misunderstanding, see above.  `Native' ClearType doesn't do
y-only hinting!  It's simply that advance width modifications are
ignored in Windows at a later stage, namely in the rasterizer.