Re: [ft-devel] State of TrueType interpreter v38 and up?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] State of TrueType interpreter v38 and up?
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 16:55:39 +0100 (CET)

>> Infinality patches are integrated. See in ttinterp.c under |#ifdef
>> TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING
>
> Ah, okay, so ClearType support is theoretically complete?  What about
> v39 and v40?

ClearType consists of multiple parts.  The first one is the
interpretation of the hints, which is complete (more or less).  The
second one consists how the hinted outlines are converted to raster
images.  There are big differences between the MS engine and FreeType,
which can't be `fixed' without completely redesigning FreeType.

>> I personally do not like how this is done. Also the truth remains
>> that ClearType patents will prevent this from wide acceptance in
>> the near future.  By then you will upgrade to a 4k monitor and
>> forget this.
>
> In what way do you not like it?  And Werner said something like
> leaving half the hints out is not covered by patents?

The ClearType rendering *filter* is patented, not the ClearType
compatibility mode for hinting instructions.