Re: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 06:07:47 +0100 (CET)

[Umpf.  Large emails are rejected by nongnu.org without giving any
 reasons.  I would have expected that they get queued and I have to
 approve them as the list administrator of freetype-devel.]

>> Interestingly, David thinks that the autohinter warping produces
>> much worse results, while I consider exactly the opposite...
>
> I agree with David :).  I guess warping may produce superior results
> if combined with correct lsb/rsb adjustment.  But Firefox/Pango
> currently don't do that.  So you get awful kerning between, say,
> "ee" in the example.

Well, yes, the warping stuff needs more fine-tuning to avoid lsb/rsb
issues.  Attached are two images of

  ftdiff DejaVuSans.ttf

at 12pt where you can see problems.

  http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5118/dejavusans12nowarp.png
  http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/223/dejavusans12warp.png

However, the two images which show the same at 11pt prove that
considerable improvements *are* possible without affecting the
spacing.

  http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/126/dejavusans11nowarp.png
  http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9115/dejavusans11warp.png