Re: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code

From: Emile van Bergen
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 21:31:45 +0100

Hi,

Op 2 mrt 2011, om 04:24 heeft Werner LEMBERG het volgende geschreven:

> Below you can find two links to images (from David Turner, who is
> testing and evaluating the warping stuff again).  Please compare.
>
>  http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9311/wikigitwarpoff.png
>  http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/3342/wikigitwarpon.png
>
> Interestingly, David thinks that the autohinter warping produces much
> worse results, while I consider exactly the opposite...

Not sure if you were inviting comments from interested bystanders too, but I do
think that the 'warp off' image has more consistent visual density.

The weight from glyph to glyph seems to have more variation with warping on.
It's hard to put this down to specific details of individual letters; it's more
of an overall impression.

Does that make sense at all?

Kind regards,

Emile van Bergen.