Re: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code

From: Collyer, Oliver, SI
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:41:06 +0000

On 1 Mar 2011, at 09:19, "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden> wrote:

No.  By its very nature, such warping can't happen in the `main'
hinting direction $(Q#|(B you would get uneven glyph heights if you do
so.

Could it not do something like pick a selection of key letters and
work out how best to vertically warp these, using the scoring
system, and then apply the same warp consistently across all glyphs?

Similarly to how I assume regular hinting must work, at least in the
sense that it must do the same thing to an F and an H with regards
to snapping the middle horizontal bar.

Well, the code is already doing this!  This is exactly how the
autohinter works.

Yeah, what I meant is make the warper work vertically by warping a few sample glyphs to find the optimum warp and then apply to all glyphs.

Currently it's a compile-time option, cf. AF_CONFIG_OPTION_USE_WARPER.

Personally, I think as many options like this should be
runtime-configurable as possible, so that there is maximum
flexibility for applications in choosing how they want things to
render rather than enforce a particular style of rendering/hinting
across the board that requires a recompile to be changed.

OK.  Stay tuned.

With that in mind, how about some more anti-aliasing options - it
would be great to be able to emulate what Photoshop does with the
*clear/sharp/strong/crisp selection
(http://www.zeta.net/web-design/photoshop-anti-aliasing-for-web-design.html
for examples)

*that said, those four modes might be achievable via applying a
*filter to the existing greyscale/LCD coverage values anyway...

Well, within ftview, you can adjust the filter weights of the LCD
filters, and you can adjust the gamma values also.  Have you ever
tried this?  If you like to add more toys to ftview: patches are
highly welcomed.

Yeah I've tried all manner of gamma settings and LCD filters. Always end up back at the default LCD filter though, it's pretty solid.

I do have some WIP for an algorithm that *intensifies typefaces in the manner of OS X which I'll happily supply as a patch if and when I'm 100% happy with it. It basically distorts the post-filtered LCD (or grayscale) values by boosting the effects of lower values in a smooth manner (tends things toward a curve)

*aims to replicate the bolder/fuller effect of a) larger text and b) light text on dark backgrounds.