Re: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 17:42:23 +0900

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
> What is improvable, however, is
> the algorithm to decide which stems are `main features', and which
> features (e.g. serifs) must be handled specially.  In particular,
> handling of diagonal stems might be improved.

BTW, that's what sort of worried me about the recent hacks to the CJK
autohinter:

It seemed to work OK in the case posted, because the major "skeleton"
strokes of the characters were grid-aligned, and the non-aligned (and
thus less visible) strokes seemed well-chosen.

But is that somehow guaranteed...?  It seems like the result not
aligning important strokes when minor strokes _were_ aligned would
result in _less_ readable results than simply grid-aligning everything
(as I guess happens now)...

-Miles

--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?