Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:48:12 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > It is like saying "there is no interaction except when there is".
> > Hinting also introduces interaction.  Two glyphs need to be pushed
> > together or pushed apart depending on (rsb_delta + lsb_delta).
>
> This only exists for FreeType's autohinter.  What we've discussed
> before is a problem with the native TrueType hinter which normally
> doesn't handle sub-pixel rendering...

I was under impression that the spacing problem has nothing to do with
subpixel rendering. Hinting moves stems - if stems of two neighboring
glyths colide we add a pixel in between, if they move too far apart we
remove a pixel.

Are you saying that TT hinter won't be able to detect these distortions
in terms or rsb_delta + lsb_delta?

I thought that rsb_delta and lsb_delta are of not much use separately,
while their sum actually means the spacing distortion, which is easy to
correct by removing or adding just one pixel. Why TT hinter doesn see
it?