Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:07:53 +0100 (CET)

> [Werner: I see only your side of the discussion with
> "apodtele(arroba)mccammon..."; looks like he is not subscribed, so
> his posts do not pop up.]

Will check the queue today in the evening.

> On the other hand, the logical behaviour would be to refrain to use
> kerning at such small ppem values: if the effect of rounding
> (half-pixel at 12ppem are 85 Funits) is larger than the styling
> effects intended by the designers, then obviously the results cannot
> be correct.

I think that rounding towards zero is always safe, and Robert says
that he will test some rounding ranges over the weekend.

> Question: what is the advance with 6 binary decimals (i.e., not the
> value returned by TrueType, but the scaled value after the Delta
> have been applied)?
> If it is greater than 8.00, it could make sense to apply the scaled
> (to 6 decimals, here 0.547 = 35/64) kerning value to this value, not
> to the rounded ones?

Whatever it is, the TrueType format doesn't make this information
visible to the application, so we are not allowed to use it -- as
mentioned in another mail, a well hinted font distorts the glyph
shapes so that the integer advance widths are indeed the optimal
values.