Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Kerning problem with capitals
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:23:47 +0100 (CET)

> I don't know if you think it's worth bothering with but, at some
> higher sizes like 20ppem, the "Re" kerning is around -0.9 and is
> being rounded to 0.  At that size, the glyph shapes are much closer
> to the scalable outlines and I think the kerning does improve the
> layout.  How about rounding the kerning to 0 if it lies in the -0.75
> -> 0.75 pixel range?

[No patch attached, BTW.]  I've thought about this too: The smaller
the ppem, the `stricter' the rounding must be.  For 10ppem even your
proposed [-0.75,0.75] range might easily introduce bad kerning, so I'm
staying on the extremely conservative side.  What I can imagine is to
make the rounding dependent on the ppem value -- can you do some
testing?