Re: [Devel] I'm lost with the charmaps !!

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] I'm lost with the charmaps !!
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:01:07 +0200

Hello Riccardo,

Thanks for the information, I've taken a quick look at the fonts
and it seems that the problem comes from the fact that the charmaps
contained in your font files do not comply with the specifcation:

  - chvr____.ttf uses the "0xFFFF" offset to indicate missing
    glyphs. The code currently in CVS already has a fix to handle
    these fonts, and works with it.

  - mg______.ttf has a format 4 charmap with a different kind of
    problem. Its 'length' field is too big and exceeds the 'cmap'
    table length. I'm working on a small fix to the current code
    to let it handle such strange cases.. Please wait...

Hope this helps for now

- David Turner

Riccardo Cohen wrote:
Thanks David for your quick answer.

We won't be able to help you if you don't give us more information about
what you're trying to do.

I try to generate a bitmap to display a string, taking care of original string
charmap and available charmap in the .ttf
Mostly I succeed, in manage glyph bitmaps, anti-aliasing, bearing. But there is
a mystery I cannot explain about charmaps.
I have a class that can convert a string into and from
unicode,appleroman,win32,latin1,adobe. I took the char codes from unicode.org
and checked all on windows,macos9/X,linux before doing all this. I am quite
sure that my charset conversions are corrects.

For example, could you tell us:
  - which version of FreeType you're using

freetype 2.1.2

  - what fonts are concerned by your problems
    (is it possible to get them easily ?)

Marriage and Chevara

I send it to you by mail

  - what kind of compilation errors are you talking of ?? How
    did you try to compile it ?

compilation with cygwin worked all right by ftview.exe "could not allocate display
surface"
So I tryed to add all files into a msdev5 wni32 application project (including
graph) and set some compile and link options, but I had so many errors,
including macro undefined etc. that I gave up.

  - what does the "ftdump" tool that comes with FreeType 2 demos
    package reports (I can send you a Windows binary, if you need
    that).

ftdump compiled with cygwin gave :
ME>ttf/ft2demos-2.1.2/bin> ftdump c:\\winnt\\fonts\\chvr____.ttf
There is 1 face in this file.

----- Face number: 0 -----

font name entries
   family:     Chevara
   style:      Normal
   postscript: ChevaraNormal

font type entries
   FreeType driver: truetype
   sfnt wrapped:    yes
   type:            scalable
   direction:       horizontal
   fixed width:     no
   glyph names:     yes
   EM size:         1000
   global BBox:     (-297,-285):(1778,1403)
   ascent:          1403
   descent:         -341
   text height:     2006

charmaps
   0: platform: 1, encoding: 0

By all means, don't send fonts directly to the mailing list.

Cheers,

- David Turner