Re: [Devel] I'm lost with the charmaps !!

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] I'm lost with the charmaps !!
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 12:22:31 +0200

Hello Riccardo,

Riccardo Cohen wrote:
Hi, I have a problem with charmaps.

1) with some fonts, one or 2 characters cannot be displayed.
  for instance LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ETH (sort of D with a horizontal bar in the
middle) 0x00D0 unicode
it cannot be printed in font "Marriage" because in that font, charset is apple_roman, and in that charmap, this letter does not exists ! (I have an iMac and checked it!)

=> BUT MSWORD and also my graphic software found it and displayed it. WHERE IS
IT ? (I can display quite all other chars)

2) with other fonts the charmaps are completely wrong. For instance with "Chevara" font, I cannot find any charmap that displays the correct glyphs.
  I tried unicode, macos and latin1, none gave the good glyphs

=> BUT MSWORD and also my graphic software can display all chars correctly ???

I could not compile demo/ftview on windows (too many compilation error) . Is
there any font viewer that could display the glyphs with their corresponding
charmap code ?

We won't be able to help you if you don't give us more information about
what you're trying to do. For example, could you tell us:

  - which version of FreeType you're using

  - what fonts are concerned by your problems
    (is it possible to get them easily ?)

  - what kind of compilation errors are you talking of ?? How
    did you try to compile it ?

  - what does the "ftdump" tool that comes with FreeType 2 demos
    package reports (I can send you a Windows binary, if you need
    that).

By all means, don't send fonts directly to the mailing list.

Cheers,

- David Turner