Re: [fluid-dev] Crackling sound when more than 4 notes are played simult

From: Herschel Karunaratne
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Crackling sound when more than 4 notes are played simultaneously
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 14:48:33 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Marcus,

I using this to generate pipe organ tones so my swell has 13 stops. I need to play several or all voices simultaneously and that's why I am generating all 13 tones when a single key is pressed and control the stop ON/OFF by adjusting the volume using cc 0 7 xx command.
Is this the correct way or any other way to do this with less CPU usage?

Regards

Herschel

On Friday, 21 August 2015, 18:03, Marcus Weseloh <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Herschel,

<address@hidden>:
> There is another thing which forgot to mention. I accidentally changed the
> sample rate to 4800 using -r ,and could play any amount of notes
> simultaneously and no crackles at all but there is long latency.

Well, assuming you really mean 4800 and not 48000, I guess that is to
be expected. With lower sample rate the CPU has much less work to do.
And minimum latency can be calculated using your period count and
size. So when using 1024 period size, 8 periods and 4800 Hz sample
rate, you get (1024 / 4800) * 8 = 1,707 seconds.

> On Friday, 21 August 2015, 17:34, Herschel Karunaratne
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> Also is there any other way to use 13 voices simultaneously other than
> method I am doing? Any suggestions?

I don't really understand your question. Could you elaborate or rephrase it?

Cheers,

  Marcus