Re: [fluid-dev] Crackling sound when more than 4 notes are played simult

From: R.L. Horn
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Crackling sound when more than 4 notes are played simultaneously
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 15:48:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015, Marcus Weseloh wrote:

<address@hidden>:
There is another thing which forgot to mention. I accidentally changed the
sample rate to 4800 using -r ,and could play any amount of notes
simultaneously and no crackles at all but there is long latency.

Well, assuming you really mean 4800 and not 48000, I guess that is to
be expected.

Actually, 48000 might be an improvement too. A number of hardware/driver combinations don't do 44100 natively and the ALSA resampler leaves much to be desired. Plus, you end up running resamplers on top of resamplers.

The word "crackling" keeps bothering me, though. "Stuttering" is how I'd describe what happens when the machine can't keep up. "Crackling" is something I associate more with clipping and aliasing and the like...gross discrete interference of some kind.