Re: [fluid-dev] Crackling sound when more than 4 notes are played simult

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Crackling sound when more than 4 notes are played simultaneously
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 09:45:44 -0600

On 08/21/2015 08:48 AM, Herschel Karunaratne wrote:
I using this to generate pipe organ tones so my swell has 13 stops. I need to play several or all voices simultaneously and that's why I am generating all 13 tones when a single key is pressed and control the stop ON/OFF by adjusting the volume using cc 0 7 xx command.
Is this the correct way or any other way to do this with less CPU usage?

Herschel:

I do something similar for implementing composite (layered) voices.

I use Qsynth, on which I configure multiple synthesizer 'engines' (separate instances of FluidSynth).

Each 'engine' can play 16 simultaneous instrument sounds, using its 16 MIDI channels.

I use Qjackctl's routing (and patch-bay) capability to send the same MIDI input to multiple synths simultaneously.

To avoid passing volume control signals, sustain-pedal control signals (and program control messages) to the 'background' synth (which uses sustained voices), I send the MIDI signals through qmidiroute (a router & filter), where the unwanted signals are filtered-out.

I set up the voices of the 'background' synth by playing a MIDI file to that synth, having the proper setup.

--
Sincerely,
Aere