Re: [fluid-dev] Crackling sound when more than 4 notes are played simult

From: R.L. Horn
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Crackling sound when more than 4 notes are played simultaneously
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:37:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 Herschel Karunaratne wrote:

My issue is when I start FS, I get the following warnings,
fluidsynth warning: Requested a period size of 64, got 1024 instead
fluidsynth warning: Requested 16 periods, got 8 instead

That's typical for a lot of bottom-of-the-line onboard audio hardware using hw:* devices. You could try using a plughw device instead, but Jack is probably better and faster.

I've never found that it affects anything but keypress latency, though. Have you tried cranking the gain down some in case you're getting clipping?