fhsst-bio

Re: [Fhsst-bio] material

From: Mark Horner
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-bio] material
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:35:02 -0700

Hi Stephen and Andrew and everyone

Nicole - as a teacher do you have any advice as to structures and formatting which works?

For physics, coming up with some basic formatting was very easy because we will have so many worked examples. We wanted to structure the worked examples in a similar way to try to emphasize a single problem solving approach.

We tried to avoid presenting the student with pages of solid text. To break things up we inserted interesting facts which we formatted differently to the rest of the text, different font and different indenting. We will have some sort of icon to go in the margin as well. Figures and tables can also be used to break it up. For example, when we discuss the fact that as temperature increases phases change we ended up with a ton of solid text. To break it up we inserted a table with the thermal properties of 6 or 7 substances that the kids should know, things like Carbon, Iron, Gold etc. Just so that they aren't intimidated by the amount of text. It also gives them a feeling for the wide scope of temperatures that actually occur in the real world. We can also construct problems which they need to refer back to the table to solve.

When I met with a Professor in the education department at UCT he said that the pages should be 1/3 whitespace when we print the books, which surprised me a bit. This will be accomplished by the choice of margins but he did emphasize that pages of solid text weren't going to work for the weaker students, especially if they are second language English speakers.

So I don't really have any strict set of guidelines for you but I recommend trying something similar with Biology. Try to use tables, figures and interesting facts to break up the text but without interrupting the flow.

I would suggest indenting tables and interesting facts and changing the font to make them standout. Try to include figures in the explanations wherever possible.

Thats all obvious stuff though. Once someone puts something up we can make a more standardised layout for further contributions.

Cheers,

Mark

Stephen Kolomyjec wrote:
Thanks,

That is basically what i am doing. So since im not the only one doing it that way i will continue onward.

regards,

stephen Kolomyjec