fhsst-bio

Re: [Fhsst-bio] Introductory Email

From: Mark Horner
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-bio] Introductory Email
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:16:09 -0700

Hi Stephen

Sorry about the delay (I seem to start every email this way - not enough time on my hands!)

I am not at all qualified in any of the life sciences so here is my general guidance but I am trying to get a better answer from someone more qualified.

This is an extract from an email I sent before you joined:

"Now, where to pitch it and how much detail to go for. Basic, but vague, rule of thumb is that the students know nothing about your stuff when they start it and they are second language english speakers in the 10th grade, your job is to cover everything in the syllabus and everything they need if they were going to university.

The full official syllabus document is at (Life Sciences):

http://education.pwv.gov.za/mainDocument.asp?src=docu&xsrc=legi&ysrc=Call%20For%20Comments

I read most of it a couple of times. I don't think it answers your question specifically. It provides some general statements about scope but without giving the specific examples which cover that scope, although its clear that multiple examples could do equally well. In the case of Physics I have no problems interpretting it but here I am lost. It will probably make much more sense to you.

I will try to get an answer from a Biology teacher in SA about the standard examples that are used but I think you can certainly start assuming they know nothing and take the example which most completely covers the general concepts for all the cases. From there you can reference it as your baseline for the other cases showing how they are different."

I am still working on the better answer part.

I hope that provides a little insight. Assume they know nothing to start and the vague objectives in the syllabus must be met.

Cheers,

Mark

Stephen Kolomyjec wrote:
Hello,

My name is Stephen Kolomyjec and this is my introductory email. I am a recent graduate of Olivet College, Olivet, Michigan USA. I earned my Bachelor degree (magna cum laude) with a major in biology. Very shortly I will be moving to Australia to begin my graduate work in zoology.

I recently stumbled across this project and thought it was a fantastic idea on many levels. As such i would like to volunteer what ever time, knowledge and work that I can.

I would like to work on Section 4 chapter 2: Biodiversity if that has not been previously assigned.

Kind Regards,

Stephen Kolomyjec

PS. Quick question. what kind of lengeth am I shooting for?