Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 06:28:40 +0100

On 11.3.2013, at 03:32, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I would like to withdraw my pleasure in having these files distributed
>> as part of Org distribution.  I would like to register my displeasure in
>> a substantial way.
>
> If you say that those files should not be covered by your existing
> assignment, then we respect this (of course, that needs to be done
> beforehand).

I think a step like this would require a careful investigation.

ox-html.el is a rewrite of org-html.el, which I wrote initially and which has
since then received many changes by the org community, all under full
assignment to Emacs.  In the context of Org-mode, ox-html.el should not be seen
as a new file, but as a rename and massive change of org-html.el, where the
parser part has moved to ox.el.

I am not as familiar with ox-odt.el, but I think it could be seen as a rewrite
of org-odt.el which is in Emacs and has the assignment.

If we allow people to reduce functionality of a package that is already in
Emacs by making changes to it, then withdraw the assignment, I think this would
create a bad precedent.

- Carsten