RE: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:40:55 -0700

> I'm sorry I didn't mention the path I've gone through. Actually
> I've found a version of generate.el, which is made in 1989. It includes
> those functions with similar names you cited (without 'gen-' prefix).
> And I runs without an error in emacs22. But it leaves out too much
> commands in the generated code. I looked into generated.el's
> implementation, and found it actually reads command-history to get the
> code. And command-history itself is leaving out a lot commands.
>
> That's why I made those modifications, trying to get a complete command
> history. And then the story you've read.
>
> Please also read my reply to Robert.

I didn't see your reply to Robert.

Yes, I think now that it was generate.el I was thinking of. There appear to
be different kinds of files with this same name, however (e.g. one that
generates MPEG files). I guess the one you found is this?
http://mirrors.wikifusion.info/gnu/elisp-archive/as-is/generate.el.Z

Doesn't generate.el give you enough of a code skeleton to complete the
command? You mention missing horizontal movement commands and a fragmented
treatment of isearch, but it should be possible to patch up the code in
those areas, no? Of course, if you could improve it, that would be even
better. Good luck, and please post what you've got when you're done
somewhere (e.g. gnu-emacs-sources, Emacs Wiki).