Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 19:22:08 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks, Drew -- it turned out I had it, but I never thought of the
name generate.el so I never discovered it.

yzhh, I am glad you brought this up.

It was not part of Calc but earlier.  I was wrong to think it was part
of Calc -- my apologies.

My copy says

    ;;; module:         generate.el
    ;;;; version:       2.0
    ;;;; author:        Ciaran A Byrne address@hidden
    ;;;; date:  2:Sept:87

That is 20 years ago!

    http://mirrors.wikifusion.info/gnu/elisp-archive/as-is/generate.el.Z

provides the same library.  It works both in Emacs 22 and in this
morning's CVS snapshot of GNU Emacs 23.0.50!

As Drew says,

    ... I'm just looking for a way for you to make your work into a
    useful contribution.  Perhaps aim for something less than 100%
    complete, something that helps a user define a command based on a
    keyboard macro, but doesn't do that completely automatically.

yzhh, doing that would be helpful.

Many of my macros involve searches, but in Emacs Lisp I can change
those instances to search-forward and re-search-forward.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden