Re: minibuffer-eldef

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: minibuffer-eldef
Date: 03 Jun 2004 14:35:50 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > The right way to do this would be to display the default value
> > right in the text entry box in a special color.  If
> > delete-selection-mode is enabled, the natural choice would be to
> > just paste the default value into the text entry box and have it
> > selected.
>
> I agree that it would make sense, especially since it is what many
> people using delete-selection-mode are already accustomed to.  But
> it is less general, as can be seen in the recent discussion of M-%:
> the default displayed in the prompt shows both `from' and `to'
> strings whereas the prompt is only asking the user to enter the
> `from' string.  I think this "discrepency" doesn't cause the
> slightest problem when the default is put in a "(default FOO)"
> annotation in the prompt, whereas it would be slightly confusing if
> it were put in the text field.

So we need to come up with something better.  After 21.4 has been
released.  Enabling minibuffer-electric-default-mode does not appear
as a good solution to me after trying it, and so in my opinion
enabling it in the current form for 21.4 by default does not make
sense: there is little point in subjecting people to the hassle of
getting used to a setting that should get changed again soon.