Re: minibuffer-eldef

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: minibuffer-eldef
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 16:34:29 +0900

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> Well, considering the suggested default of
> minibuffer-electric-default-mode: I have tried it now for a while, and
> I don't like it.  It makes parts of the line jump forwards and
> backwards.
>
> The right way to do this would be to display the default value right
> in the text entry box in a special color.

I think that wouldn't be right.

The `jumping' can be slightly disconcerting at first, but I think most
people would quickly learn to prefer it -- defaults in prompts can often
take up lots of room in the minibuffer, and eliding them when the user
actually starts to type in his input is useful behavior.

The default string is elided by attaching an `invisible' property, so
using `face' instead would be trivial, but I think that would be the
wrong interface.

> If delete-selection-mode is enabled, the natural choice would be to
> just paste the default value into the text entry box and have it
> selected.

No.

That microsoft/apple behavior is clever hack on the way their selection
works, but it's horribly annoying to actually use.  Emacs' behavior is a
lot nicer.

-Miles
--
/\ /\